Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Steaks and Pizza!

It is 12:25am on Wednesday right now.
This morning I walked to work alone to have some time to think. When I arrived I got settled and visited shortly with Helen and Helene. When Hilary and Morgan arrived we got settled and waited for Emily. Emily took Hilary to the Domestic Violence shelter to participate in a self defense course and to get to see the site. We will be switching off going on Tuesdays while we are here. Next week is my turn. While Hilary was there Helen talked with us a bit about our logistics of things we will be doing and narrowing down our specific interests a bit. I have indicated that I am especially interested in the Emergency Relief programs and the Calvary site, which is a shelter for families and a bit of a transitional housing program. I was set up to try to use my computer at the office today to Skype with my mom, but unfortunately the Internet did not work in the spare room. Helen offered to download skype onto her work computer so that I could try to communicate home which was a very generous offer, especially considering it meant the cost of download (which the process is not free here) and giving up her desk for the time that would be spent Skyping. I was excited to be able to try a video chat with my family, even though I couldn't plug my camera into the computer because when I tried it caused a power surge. It was still great to see the fam and hear about things going on at home. The rest of the afternoon I spent on some office tasks and some more visiting with Helen when Hilary returned. The girls tried to get their doses of Internet in case their Internet was still not working when they got back to Hosanna Heights. Hilary and I walked back together at the end of the day. When we arrived back we headed to our rooms only to find that the Internet was not working at all. We went back down to the office to talk to David (the head honcho) about it, and to ask if we could do anything about the broken bed, and found there was a package for me. We asked our questions and I got my package, which was from Tim. I couldn't even wait til I got to my room to open it. When we got to our rooms our Internet still wasn't working and we were supposed to wait for one of the students to come to our rooms. Before too long it was time for supper so we made our way downstairs right at about 6:30pm (when they start serving). There was a long line already. While in line one of the girls who was working in the kitchen asked if we would like some pizza, steak, and salad to eat for our meal. We all jumped at the idea of pizza, and even the other girls expressed an interest in a bit of steak. I said I didn't need any steak as I am doing the vegetarian thing. I still waited in line to get rice and veggies in case these meal items didn't turn out like we were hoping. It turns out it was good I did since the pizza turned out to be sausage and Canadian bacon. (Later I was informed that I should expect pizza to have meat on it unless I specifically order it otherwise. This is good to know) The girl also brought 2 large T-bone type slabs of steak to our table. I enjoyed my rice and veggies and some of the fries that came with one of the steaks. We shared one of the steaks with a table next to us that had noticed our feast. After supper we made our way back upstairs only to discover that all of the power had gone out. Somehow this also meant that there was no Internet. I made a phone call and then went in search of Hilary. I was a bit disappointed because I had hoped to watch the movie Tim sent me, Madagascar 2. Hilary and I talked about it and decided to ask Helene if there was any chance that we could watch a movie at her house. Not only was she OK with it, she even came to pick us up. Even better, we watched the movie twice. We got a ride home and arrived home just now. To our relief, the power is all up and running. On another note, Radar, our huntsman spider, is back at his perch at the top of the stairs. I tried taking a picture but it didn't turn out so well. I will have to try again when the lights are on. Sadly I don't have any pictures to add today. It was a good day though.

No comments:

Post a Comment