Monday, February 16, 2009

Adelaide's Got Balls!

It is 10:12pm here now, and I have just gotten to my computer for the night after Hilary and Morgan have used it to check their e-mail...and of course facebook.


This morning Morgan and I walked to the office while Hilary got ready. Her alarm didn't wake her up and she only woke up when I called her before Morgan and I were went down to breakfast. At the office we did devotions and then caught a ride to Blair Athol. I think we're finally starting to feel a routine, on Mondays at least. We went right into the shop and were ready to work. The volunteers working decided it would be a good time to take morning tea, but I chose to continue to work to give myself some time to think over things that had been discussed that morning. While Morgan and I walked I instigated a conversation about defensiveness. There have been some definite tensions between the three of us which have been a constant struggle for me, and which I fear are going to become obvious to those around us if they haven't already. The biggest give away is the way that we all get very defensive when talking to each other, to a point where we are often defending our opinions, whether they have been challenged or not.
This portion of the blog has been removed out of respect to Morgan. I am glad to have talked with her about it.
The conversation that I had with Morgan was a step in the right direction, I hope. The end result was trying to encourage her to confront Hilary and I about what she's feeling to be sure she gets it straight from our mouths and doesn't assume we're trying to be unwelcoming when we're actually trying to do the opposite. The end of the conversation occurred within earshot of Helen and Helene and as a part of it we prayed for communication and patience in our devotion. It is also a positive thing because it is evident that we will need to have our own separate experience, which has not been the case so far. On our car ride to Blair Athol Helene talked with us about it being OK for us to talk to them about changing things up if they aren't working right now. We've already set up a meeting to evaluate how things are going with Helen tomorrow afternoon. Helene also asked if we might be interested in helping a bit with the planning for an Emergency Relief training on Dealing with Difficult People. I am thinking that this may be an entirely exciting and helpful thing considering the morning.




After the volunteers and Hilary and Morgan were finished with their tea we all worked our butts off getting donations sorted because there were a HUGE amount of them. Even the volunteers said that we did about a weeks worth of work today. I was excited because we found a purse for me, to replace the one that broke, and it was only $2. Perfect price for me. I am glad that I waited. The other girls also found some 70s clothes for the 70s night at the retreat we are going to in March. After helping clean up in the shop we took a bus into the city. We had some time to shop around a bit and wander. All of the shops closed at 5pm in the city so we headed toward CitySoul, where we were headed to help pack some bags to be handed out to students during O-week, which is their orientation week (next week). We were early so Hilary and I decided to sit outside the building and read while Morgan walked for a bit longer. We saw one of the leaders of the church arrive and helped him carry up the stuff and set up the room to pack bags. He was very welcoming and we must have set up the room pretty effectively because the task was completed in about 40 min, compared to his thought that it would take at least 2 hrs. We stayed around and cleaned up and visited for a bit. We left just in time to catch our bus back to Hosanna Heights. Unfortunately both of the girls Internet isn't working, but they've been able to use my computer. Hilary got some exciting news. She has been invited to come to a meeting along the lines of the foster care project she has been working with Andrea on. I am glad that her week is looking up. Also, on the upside I am feeling a bit better than last night, but am worried that it may have to do with not having eaten anything from Hosanna Heights today. My next project when I finish is to see if anything can be done to fix this broken bed, since my back was a bit upset with me today.
These pictures of the "Balls" which we have been told we must see. Simon and Jeremy actually thought we were ridiculous for having missed them when walking around in the city. Well, we found them today and had to take pictures. We got stared at by the people walking around as we were in the middle of an outdoor mall, where people see these balls everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment