Wednesday, February 18, 2009

$7 footlong.

It is 10pm here on Wednesday.

This morning Karen picked me up from Hosanna Heights. She is the supervisor at Ingle Farm. The site is bit farther away and focuses on support groups for moms and creches for kids. The first thing I did when I got there was meet everyone there. One woman that I met is Dianne, who runs the Creches (childcare). They even do Mobile Creches (what I previously thought were connected to Car Crashes) which go to various places where there are support groups and take care of kids while the groups are meeting. The second thing that I did was read an article she provided me about volunteering in Australia. I talked with Dianne later about my reaction to the article and found that there are a lot of common approaches to volunteering, but that they are not quite the same. One clear difference is the approach of instilling volunteering early in youth in the US. There are obviously exceptions here, but it didn't seem like one would ever find a high school that required any amount of community service or anything like that. Iryana, who was working at the reception desk asked for a little help using excel so I felt intelligent when I was able to help her complete her task that she seemed to be having trouble with, even though I didn't do it with excel. I sat in on a support group for parents and learning efficient methods of discipline for children. The first thing that struck me about the system that they were teaching was that the man in the AV resources did not have an Australian Accent. I suspect that he was American because of an off hand reference he made to Green Bay Packers at one point. The system was generally aimed at releasing the stress and trying to encourage parents to make sure that they are not getting too worked up in the process of disciplining children, in part because the child will feed off of the emotions put out by the adult. It was very interesting, but I realized that I still had a couple questions at the end. I asked two of them to the presenter, but I wondered if the approach could be used in caring for another persons children, for example. Ironically enough, when working with the kids at a Creche later, one of the kids was pushing me and hitting and I had no idea what the process was to let him know that was not OK. After the Creche was over I spent time visiting with other staff and thinking on suggestions that were made about other programs we might be interested in. Karen took me back to the Magill office around 3pm and I met up with Morgan and Hilary there. Emily ended up giving us a ride home. I almost feel lazy that I didn't walk hardly at all yesterday. Its a first. When I got home I got on the computer and talked to Tim for a bit. (A bit being long enough to skip supper.) Hilary and I decided to investigate Subway in the city, which she called and found out that they happen to be open until 9pm. We took the bus out there and found Subway quickly. I had my veggie sub, but was quickly frustrated that the toppings and sauces didn't taste the same at all. I should have known this would be the case, but none the less I was still a bit sad. For example, the Chipotle Southwest sauce tasted like ranch and thousand island dressing mixed together. Hilary and I walked around a bit after we finished eating. We decided to go back to Hosanna Heights before too long though. When we got back I settled into my room and started my blog. Morgan came to my room to talk to me, which is good, and I think we were successful at hashing some things out. I was beat by the end of the night and ready for bed. Mornings always feel like they just come too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment