Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Its about 9:45pm here on Wednesday night. Today started earlier than the previous day, but we actually made it early to our internship.

In the morning we headed over to the Glynde church (where we went last Sunday) to help with a playgroup. Playgroup took place in the church's nursery. It a 2 hour block where parents bring their children to play, do crafts, and have a snack. The unique part about it is that the parents stay. They play with the children and socialize amongst themselves. The children are 0-4yrs old. There were 11 there today. It was a really neat way to spend our morning and we were invited back. A majority of the parents aren't a part of this particular congregation, but are still welcomed to bring their children to playgroup.

We headed back to the Magill office for lunch. At 1pm we met with Jazz (who is the directory of camping ministries for the Lutheran Church here) about our proposal for the grant. We have decided that this is a project we are really interested in working on while we are here, even if it means researching other grants that we could apply for. We found out a little more about the aboriginal community and past camps that have been held their to use for our proposal. We also spent some time visiting and talking about the things we want to experience while we are here.

I spent time working on an online newsletter for Lutheran Community Care which is created monthly. This may become a project that we work on each month. It was fun because I did some fun research about St. Valentine and then got to learn about some of the happenings for the organization as I started to put it together. I will probably learn to use Microsoft Publisher in the process which could be useful. I will try to send out a copy/post a copy if I am able to when it is finished. I was so into my work that I wasn't really ready to leave when the day was over. Helene transported us home and we headed to our rooms. I was so excited to use my phone card and call Tim. I miss home a lot, but I am also so excited about the new things I am doing here. During the days it is almost easy to be here. It is when I get back to where we are staying and am just sitting and thinking that I start to miss being able to sit and talk out what I am doing and learning with someone who isn't there with me. It will probably get easier in some ways, as well as hard in other ways as we get further into the trip. When I got off the phone I headed down to supper. We were all excited for our vegetarian meals. It turns out that they just put some uncooked vegetables into a sauce with some hard boiled eggs. The sauce was like a mayonaise and vinagrette mix. It was good, but we felt bad because they gave us a big bowl of it (for 3 girls) and we barely made a dent in it. The sushi we were promised looked a bit more like spring rolls but was very good. When we were finished we decided to take a walk to find a Cole's, which is a supermarket like a Hy-vee or Pick'n'save (I think I've covered the various areas of readers). I found a couple things that I wanted, like a hair clip since mine broke on the plane ride and some more pens. I even found Shapes Mac and Cheese which I plan to take and make at work tomorrow. We also found Laundry deterent that is environmentally friendly, which was less expensive than any other kind. We were impressed by this because in the US it is usually more expensive to be kind to the planet. I also took pictures of some of the houses on the way. I realized too late that I was taking pictures of the bigger houses. There is a great diversity between all of the houses big small, decorative and simple, and so on. I will have to make a point to take some more varied pictures the next time we are walking through residential areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment