Thursday, February 12, 2009

Jazzercise

It is 9:30am here on Friday now.
Yesterday Hilary and I didn't have to be into the office until 11am, but did we sleep in, no! We got up and went to exchange money and look around at a shopping center instead. We took the bus out there and then decided to hop back on it to get back to work. When we arrived there was a list of things for us to do. I worked on a flyer for one of the classes that Helen is teaching. I was excited to be able to use one of the photos from a wedding I went to (Bienemann). After the flyer was done I spent time watching videos that have been produced by the government about relationship issues like living together, having a child, and combined families. We were asked to write a recommendation about the videos and how we thought they could be used. Helene returned around lunch time and we sat down together for the meal. After lunch I started on new task for Helene compiling feedback from a series of Emergency Relief training for a grant report. Its nice to feel useful, but I have a feeling that it will take me a little time before I am completely comfortable, and confident with professional tasks. Hilary and I were invited to a Jazz musicians CD release by Simon. This took some working out because of time, but Hilary really likes Jazz so it was a great opportunity to be invited to. Helene brought us home around 5pm so we could have some time before heading to their place for a ride into the city. Unfortunately, when it came down to it because of when the bus came we didn't have hardly any time. This was frustrating for me because I was hoping to have a chance to talk to Tim, but that had to be cut short to catch the bus. And then, of course, the bus didn't come on time at all. We waited at the bus stop for at least 30min before one came. On the way into the city Helene asked if we could take a detour to see the Torrens River (which is actually a lake). Apparently, there was a bit of a blunder and the lake was drained. This comes at an unfortunate time for a couple reasons. The night before a city council member had been interviewed regarding an intentional draining of the lake to which he responded that doing would have many negative affects. Imagine how surprised he would have been when he woke up the next morning and it had been accidentally drained. There are also a couple festivals coming up that will take place near the area which will now have a fewer aesthetic qualities and probably a strong stench. After walking along the now drained waterway we headed into the city. Hilary and I hadn't had a chance to eat so our first order of business was to find some supper. Of course, what side of town would we end up on but Chinatown. We are a bit sick of rice so we were happy to search out any restaurant that didn't serve dishes over rice. We ate at an Italian place and shared some brushetta and a pizza. Simon, Hilary, and I shared some good conversation while we sat about music and other things. We headed to the Promethean (the venue where the CD release would be) after paying. The musician was very talented and it was neat to hear his stories about making the CD as he performed. It was strange to hear him talk about all the time he spent in the US making the CD though. He played for about an hour or so. Afterwards we talked about what we wanted to do and were a bit indecisive. I suggested walking around for a bit to see the city at night. No one really moved until Simon suggested he would show us around the city so we could see it at night. Sounds a bit like my suggestion huh? We walked for quite some time around the city. He showed us the areas where there are quite a few bars and things like that. Jeremy was somehow convinced to pick us up and he even gave us a ride all the way home. I was pretty tired at the end of the night and glad to head for bed right away.




The above pictures are of the recently drained river Torrens. G'ma: I took the pic of the black swans (which are native here) for you. I took a couple more but it is not letting me upload them right now.
The first pic is of me with my double seat belt from the previous post. The second pic is of the tomato sauce (ketchup) that Helene has made and given us a bottle. She bottled them in old Cooper's beer bottles and made her own labels.




No comments:

Post a Comment