Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Shifting House and a NEW START!

Its been a couple days since I was able to post last.
On Tuesday after I wrote we spent a little more time at the office until it was time to go and move our things from Hosanna Heights. Thankfully I had made sure to pack everything up in the morning before I went into the office. Morgan still needed to finish packing so she headed back before me to try to get that done. I was truly amazed that we were able to fit all of our luggage and acquired things, as well as our bodies, into Helen's vehicle. We turned our keys into the office and asked them to forward any mail to the office. It is seeming like the best place to send mail for us/me is going to be to the Magill Office post office box, since that means it will be secure at the post office until someone from the office picks it up, rather than out on a front porch or somewhere else. The address there would be (in case anyone is interested):

Ellie Rogaczewski C/O
Centre For Learning
PO Box 2137
Magill North, South Australia 5072

We travelled across town and unloaded our things at Helen's house. We are house sitting for the rest of the week while she is away at her daughter's wedding. We spent the rest of the day settling in here. Helen and Peter had left sandwiches for us and we made Mac and Cheese for super. We finished the night off by watching Grease together.

I slept soundly in a nice bed, but perhaps a little too soundly. I woke to sounds of construction work across the street and was a little frustrated that they would start working so early, since it must be before 7am, as my alarm hadn't gone off. Soon I discovered that it was actually 9:30am and my alarm had not woken me. It was probably the best day for it to have happened since I didn't actually have anywhere I was required to be. I had breakfast and got ready to have an adventure. I did my research about the new bus system, but I was really still quite nervous to use it myself. Morgan had left early to go to her playgroup at Glynde, which she has specifically requested that no one go along since she enjoys having something she can do independently. I can completely understand this since it continues to be difficult to branch out and make our own identities apart from the "Three Americans." Unfortunately the opportunities to start working towards my interests away from the group have been thwarted for various reasons. It will happen though, I have hope. I made it safely to the Magill office to try to help Helene with some office work. She had told Morgan the night before on the phone that she needed help so I was happy to come in for that. At the end of the day there was another cultural awareness training at Blair Athol to help with. This one was about the Central Africa area. It was equally interesting as Monday's but the presenter may have needed a bit more organization to his presentation. This is about the point where my day started to go downhill. When we had talked about this event earlier with Helene the discussion has been that if Morgan and I got ourselves to Blair Athol that Helene would be able to take us home. As we were leaving Blair Athol Morgan decided that she would be going to a bible study that meant it made the most sense for her to go home with Helene and have supper. Helene told her that it would be no big deal to give her a ride home at the end of the night since it would only be about a 17 min drive. What this turn of events meant for me, though, was that I was to be dropped off in the city to find my own way home. There are quite a few reasons why this upset me. I had no bus fares left for one. Also I had set up to meet Tim online about a half hour before the time it was already (since I hadn't known that we would be going to this thing at Blair Athol when I spoke to him last), and most importantly, I didn't know how to get home from the city. Thankfully I did have some coins on me that worked for a bus fare, and by sheer luck I got off at the right bus stop. I got on the computer as soon as I could and was lucky that Tim had waited for me, which is a miracle since 6:30pm (which is close to when I got home) is about 2am in the US. After talking to him for a little bit Hilary and I decided that we would order Pizza Hut for supper. We were quite excited about this adventure and had to do quite a bit of research. Finally, after researching online, deciding on our order, and calling the wrong location once, we made our order and were waiting for its delivery. Surprisingly they don't have bread sticks here. We tried a thing called a rip and dip which is like cheesy bread that you tear off bits to dip in sauce. It sounded promising, but unfortunately when it arrived it was actually quite burnt. Luckily, Morgan enjoys burnt food so it will not go to waste. We also got a pepperoni stuffed crust pizza too. The pizza was not quite as exciting as it would have been at home. I picked off my pepperoni since i had no plans to eat it, but we couldn't order a pizza with the pepperoni on only half. The pepperoni meat was definitely different and Hilary's end judgement was that it won't be ordered again. We scrounged through the movies and found a stack that we want to watch. We watched Pride and Prejudice (A favorite of Hilary and mine) while we ate. It was bed time after that.

Today is a day off per instructions from Yvonne since we will be doing a work/internship related activity from Friday through Monday afternoon. We've been asked just late last night/today if we would be wiling to help lead some of the activities. I have agreed to help lead a small discussion group, but it is a little frustrating to have been asked so late, especially after the initial discussion of the weekend included being told specifically that because of our ages we were going to be participating rather than helping lead. Really, though, it is fine. Today has been spent grocery shopping with Hilary and doing a bit of class work. Now that I've gotten caught up on blogging I will have lunch and then tackle a couple 1/2way point reflection papers that are already due to be written. Also, there are plans to watch The Pirates of Penzance which I am quite excited about.

No comments:

Post a Comment