Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Continueing on...

Tuesday also included an intake interview with another aboriginal family. Unfortunately, I didn't feel so positive about this one. There were some aspects of the man's attitude that I found challenging. The decision has yet to be made about working with the family and whether it will work out moving them into the house that was pictured. It also turns out that they had interaction with the agency about a year ago and one of the staff that was a part of the intake interview was actually who they worked with. The man talked really negatively about services he'd been receiving and there was some evidence that he'd been drinking. He was a bit aggressive also. I don't envy the person who has to make the choice about how to help this family.

I had to leave quickly when I was writing last time to catch a train. Unfortunately there was a train breakdown and the train never came. This meant that I caught a bus and almost doubled my travel time into the city. I didn't have enough time to make it all the way back to our house so I waited in the city for over an hour for Morgan and Hilary to meet me. We had plans to meet Andrea for a movie, but it wasn't meant to be. We got off at the wrong bus stop and when we found someone to ask we found out that we were still about 4-5ks from where we were meant to be. Andrea ended up having to come and find us. We missed our movie. We'll try again next week we think.

Tuesday ended up being a challenging evening for me because I was so exhausted and nothing seemed to be working out.

Wednesday was nice because I took some time to sleep in and recoup. In the afternoon we went on a tour of the Haigh's Chocolate Factory. It was really neat. The history happens to be that the company has been in the family for 4+ generations. The original starter didn't produce chocolate, only confectionery and soft drinks. The 2nd generation did the same. The 3rd generation though wrote letters to Belgium and other places to ask for help learning to make chocolate. He only heard back from the Lindt family and went there to learn to make chocolate and run the business in exchange for teaching their son English. There is still only the one factory, but now there are many stores. They don't export as of yet though. Afterwards Hilary and I went to the store and did a bit of shopping and then made our way home. I was excited to cook because I bought an eggplant at the shop and cooked with it. It was SO yummy.

Today I am back at the Calvary office. We spent the morning moving a family (getting things from storage, loading a trailer, unpacking the trailer) into the house that I went along to see the handover with Belinda last week. It is still not quite finished, but the new tenant is SO excited and its really a great thing. She brought us a fruit cake to thank us for our help. Yes, I have now tried fruit cake. They apparently actually eat it all the time here.... interesting.

We've also met and talked about the family that I talked about at the beginning and decided that there are far more negatives to having them come into the service and not many things positive. Other than this decision to be made, its been a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment